Friday, November 7, 2008

What spoke to me today...

Prov. 14:1
The wise woman builds her house,
but with her own hands the foolish one tears hers down.

I've been so angry lately and I'm trying to figure out "the whys" of it all... something to do with my own selfishness, and lack of wanting to sacrifice, I'm sure.

Yesterday, one child slept for 30 minutes at naptime before SCREAMING and waking up the other young one... while this was happening, the older 2 were not so innocently watching a movie upstairs in the guest room... they'd found a red jawbreaker and got it all over the white down comforter and white chanille bedspread. When I had the oldest bring that down to the wash, one of the younger ones showed me they'd peed on their bed (not in their sleep...just because they wanted to). It was a hard day. I wasn't 'happy mom' that could handle it with a smile of servitude. I was 'unhappy-why-me-God' mom. My kids weren't respecting me... they were disobeying in little things at every turn. I realized somewhere between the hours that I was on the pillow last night and at the breakfast table this morning that it was really MY fault. That I've been 'checking out' by 'checking my email' and that I really need to stay ON TOP of things. Discipline every time it is needed. Right away.
Instead I was giving warnings, and more warnings, and doing a lot of loud talking (smile) and not a lot of follow through. I think that in this whole process, I've felt like I can't discipline the youngest the same way...they don't have the same experiences... but... somewhere between yesterday and today, that changed. They are my kids. They are all 4 OUR kids. They should all 4 be treated the same way. And, so instead of threats, today, there was follow through. And...we've had a great day. (Not without lots of discipline...but without lots of 'angry mom'.) I've been 'happy mom' today. They've rose to the challenge of obediance, as I've enforced the rules. I needed to write it down, cause in a few weeks, I'm sure we'll be at a different place in the cycle and I'll need to remind myself that the problem isn't my kids... it's ME. And, I'll get back on track, once again...

4 comments:

Signe said...

Oh yeah, that is so life with lots of little ones. It does go by really fast, and they are really wonderful as they get bigger. Keep the faith, the discipline thing is really trying. It seems like you just wake up one day and realize that discipline is not as constant as it used to be and the obedience lasts longer. Joy will come in the morning!

And no matter what you hear to the contrary teenagers are wonderful!!! If you put in the work now the benefits are so worth it.

Kara said...

I'm so glad to hear that today was better, that they actually responded to your discipline! And I'll be praying for them to nap better, too.

Kara said...

And Happy Birthday!

Hulls Clan said...

I'm FINALLY checking out your blog!!! So exciting to "catch up" on the life of my long lost friend Ella. Your kiddos are ALL abosolutly beautiful and I'm excited to watch your journey as a Momma! Love to you!