Sunday, November 2, 2008

We Have Another READER!




Ryan learned his phonics at the same time he learned his alphabet. I credit it to THIS VIDEO that you can buy at Target for under $10. It's awesome... So, as a 2 year old he would say 'look mom...it's a '/t//t/ /t/' anytime he would see a 'T'...and I would say 'Yes...what letter says '/t/'?' and he would answer 'TEEEEEEEEEEE' (He did that with all of his letters...) Several months ago he started putting the sounds together to sound out words. He's been writing MOM and DAD on every picture he draws and is pretty good at sounding out short words. The other day he brought me the book Hop On Pop and said "LOOK MOM! I can read this book!" Sure enough, word by word, he can! It is soooooooooooooooooooooo fun to be able to watch this happen, as his mom. When I was student teaching, and later, substitute teaching, it was my favorite part of the job to see the light bulb turn on when they 'got it'...how AMAZING that I have the awesome privilege to now witness it in my own kids! So so so fun! YAY for reading!

4 comments:

Kara said...

How amazing! We are celebrating with you. How fun!

I'm trying to not be embarrassed for Tima. Although I know he's absorbing a lot, he still doesn't know all of his letters! Aaach. It's a good thing his self worth doesn't rest on his reading ability. Maybe in the summer, he'll inspire Tima to read...

Kara said...

So, can we borrow the video this summer? And your handwriting without tears pieces? and a pony?

Angela said...

kara... well... i don't have a pony, but you are welcome to borrow the other things! :)
you are coming back for the whole summer? or just part? when?! i'm so excited!!!

Angela said...

update:
he's reading more and more... he brought us a book the other morning when we were in bed and asked us to read it for him. it was a little reader that my friend jenn had given us (thanks jenn!) I said 'bud, i think YOU can read that one!' and sure enough, he did. he read the whole thing. over. and over. and over. So fun to see him SO excited about his newest accomplishment! :)