Wednesday, November 19, 2008

To my sweet friend


To my sweet friend who can relate to me... (and to you, too...if you can relate) :)

i'm doing better... i think that posting notes all around the house of verses on anger, as well as having people pray for me, has really helped. staying on top of discipline has helped me, too... i've been so much better about discipling right away and not giving a ton of warnings and that has helped tremendously.

a friend said the other day that a friend told her that she feels like she turns a corner, and then they turn another corner, and pretty soon she realized that they were just going around in circles. It reminded me of the cycle that they talk about in Shepherding a Child's Heart, by Tedd Tripp, have you read it? I think you have. I haven't read it in years, but think it would be good to go back to again...

It gives me comfort to know that we aren't alone, or going through anything different than others before us!

It also reminds me of

1 Corinthians 10:13
No temptation has seized you except what is common to man. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can stand up under it.

Stay strong! I love you!!

Angela

2 comments:

this is us said...

Yes - I've noticed that we need correction RIGHT AWAY around here or it's worthless (this is being typed, in fact, while one of mine sits on the potty for a time out that hasn't even yet started because he hasn't managed to be quiet yet). And it's amazing how much I let "slip" by because there's four of them - then I wonder why things are so out of control! :)

Definitely need to reread that book!!!!

- J

Kara said...

I reread Shepherding a Child's Heart this spring when I found I was constantly exasperated with my kids. Combined with the "Boundaries With Kids" theories, and salted with some good ideas from the more radical "Train Up a Child," it totally changed the atmosphere in our home. I've started giving a quick punishment the first time, before I get mad. And then I'm not punishing in anger.

It is a cycle, because when the kids are more obedient, I forget the importance of punishing the first (and small) disobedience.... Then, before I know it, I'm saying, "How many times do I have to tell you?" A sure sign that I'm not being disciplined with discipline!